This institute was established in 2008 for the following purposes:
- Provide convenience and enhance the excellence of Hunminjeongeum, spread the national brand through its scientific value and globalisation.
- Prove the excellence of the Hunminjeongeum input keyboard used in IoT smart devices, and establish a pioneering position in the language notation method.
- Develop various contents related to Sejong's scientific and cultural achievements to be suitable for CPND (Contents, Platform, Network, Device), an information and communication technology (ICT) convergence ecosystem.
- Standardisation of Korean keyboard input tools for information devices.
- Standardisation of Hangul Code.
- Proposal of a basic method for notation of foreign words.
- Globalisation of Hunminjeongeum.
- Proposal of a basic plan for the production of the terminology dictionary of Hunminjeongeum.
- Establishment of the foundation of the North and South Korean language corpus collection and informatisation system.
- Speech Recognition and AI Service Plan.
- Proposal of an information access technology support plan for the disabled.